Monday, August 16, 2010

How do u know.....

So.....how do you determine whether or not doing the right thing is really the "right" thing to do??

I mean, all people have a conscience right....well....for sake of argument, we will say most. The point is though, if you are in a situation where the final decision comes down to you, the choice between right or wrong, whether you sink or float, what do you do???

I guess there are some things that must be considered.......

1. Who is being hurt
2. Is it something that is legal or illegal
3.What are the repercussions if you make the wrong decision
4.Can you live with your own conscience

I'm sure there are more things that could factor into this decision-making, but that is just what was off the top of my head. I guess I am just struggling right now trying to decide if the decision I want to make is something that I can live with. I have been sitting here trying to find the silver lining, the gray area....the whatever you wanna call it, but whatever it's name is, it's still a choice I have to make none the less.

I guess to fill you in a bit since you are probably clueless and can't form an accurate opinion.......My boss has made some decisions that aren't necessarily ethical or legal for that matter. This isn't the first time he has made some unwise choices, so this isn't the first time I have crossed this path. The first time I decided to do the right thing and say something about what was going on. Essentially nothing was done about the situation though, and I had some rather uncomfortable moments at work for the next few months. Now, there is a new scenario, and this time, it is worse then the last. Part of me wants to do the "right" thing and let someone know, but because of the outcome previously, part of me just wants to keep my mouth shut!

I feel as though if I just let things go, there wont be any workplace tension, other then the sickening feeling I get in my stomach when I know things are going on that I don't approve of. But then part of me thinks about what would happen if someone else says something and then I get into a lot of trouble because I didn't report it. But then what if I do report it, and I lose my job.......and yes I know, if that were to happen I would be able to sue them, but we all know something like that takes a long time before anyone reaches a settlement, and what if they file bankruptcy because they lose their business....I have a family at home and can't afford to not have a job.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....what do I do? Sigh :(